Pages

Friday, April 15, 2011

It's the End of the World as we Know it...

... and i feel fiiiiine...

ok, not really. actually i feel horrible.

i just read THIS article that literally makes me want to cry. "Pet rescuers brave Fukushima danger zone" which is about all the pets and livestock left to basically starve to death when the Japanese people had to evacuate. Getting through the article was hard enough, i couldn't bring myself to even click on the YouTube video of the malnourished beagle tied to a post. It just makes me sad because these animals don't understand whats happening, they don't know why their owners have left them... Thank God there are people out there willing to risk their own lives in order to save these poor innocent animals... i know if i was over there and could do it, i would be signing up myself.

Then I read THIS article: "Tennessee woman, 20, missing after being dragged from home". My heart goes out to this family who are doing everything they possibly can to find this girl... and to these families here who are dealing with a serial killer (or killers) in Long Island: "Police hack through brush on NY beach in possible serial killer case"... it really makes you realize that there are such evil people in this world, and sometimes i feel so insulated in my own safe world, that these things don't seem real. But they are real, they've just never been MY reality. It makes me feel bad for complaining about the small things, about thinking how hard MY life is. Because compared to these people, its not. I have a good job, a roof over my head, a family that loves me, clothes on my back and food on my table.

i guess the important thing to take away from all this is that you never know when people are going to be taken away from you, or when you will be taken away from them. So, love hard, laugh often, cherish your loved ones, spend quality time with people, dance like no one's watching (see, i'm not ALL debbie downer, i'm still TRYING to find the sweet silver lining to all this). My favorite quote from Grey's Anatomy:
Did you say it? 'I love you. I don't ever want to live without you. You changed my life.' Did you say it? Make a plan. Set a goal. Work toward it, but every now and then, look around; Drink it in 'cause this is it. It might all be gone tomorrow.

So between all these natural disasters, tsunamis, earthquakes, tornadoes in the south last night... and all these man made atrocities, sometimes its hard to keep a positive attitude about the world around us. Sometimes, its just really depressing. And it really seems that the end of the world can't be too far away. I hope i'm wrong and we have many more years ahead of us... and with Easter approaching, maybe we (and by we, i mean me, i don't try to push my beliefs on anyone) just need God to show us that there is hope, there are people who are still kind-hearted, caring and good. I'm not overly religious, but after reading a mornings worth of depressing news stories, i can use a little God in my life.

There is surely a future hope for you, and your hope will not be cut off. —Proverbs 23:18

Have a hopeful and happy weekend and we'll catch up Monday!

No comments:

Post a Comment