Pages

Monday, May 9, 2011

Decisions, Decisions...

So today I'd like to take the time to talk about something of utmost importance. My nails. I know I know, you thought I was going to say world peace or the ozone layer or alien invasions. But good grooming is important as well. LOL.

Anyway, all kidding aside, I'm not one of those girls with super long, always freshly manicured LCN/Gel nails (though i have been in the past). And yet, I'm not a nail biter, with short stubs either (never have i ever... bitten my nails, do i have to drink now?) I'm a middle of the road kind of girl, that paints them when possible aka when i'm not feeling lazy and goes for the occasional manicure. Which lately has been adding up to about once a week - every week and a half.

2 weeks ago, i tried Shellac by CND. Here's the description on it:

CND (Creative Nail Design), the leader in professional nail, hand and foot beauty, is proud to introduce the first hybrid nail color after nearly five years of development in its state-of-the-art laboratory. Now you can say good-bye to chips, smudges, and dry time and say hello to Shellac™ Hybrid Nail Color! This revolutionary product applies like polish, wears flawlessly for 14 days of high gloss shine, and is removed in minutes.


The product has definitely stayed on, no chipping, still very shiny. But, now my nails are growing out, and although the polished part still looks great, the new growth part is very visible.

So here's my dilemma... to reapply or not reapply. The salon I went to cost me 50 smackaroos for this. I know a salon that's less pricey ($28) so do i get this done again or do i try to be a bargainista and DIY at home with one of the many nail polishes I already own.

Here are the pros and cons I came up with:

Pros:
  • Long lasting
  • No weekly polish changes
  • No chipping
  • Totally dry when you leave the salon

Cons:
  • Limited color palette (they have about 12 colors out now)
  • Natural nail growth is visible
  • Removal takes longer (~10-15 min soaking in acetone and then using a wood stick to chip away the remaining polish) (though i have to admit, i haven't tried it yet)
  • Cost (anywhere from $25-$50)


So, what would you do? Do you think this is worth the money? Or would you rather give yourself a DIY manicure... comment below!

No comments:

Post a Comment